The New Yorker Uses Their Cover To RESIST TRUMP In This Heartbreakingly Accurate Way
The New Yorker Cover Speaks Without Saying A Word
The New Yorker just made the most eloquent response to Trump’s first days as president, and its heartbreaking accuracy is enough to make America weep.
The illustration shows the upheld hand of the Statue of Liberty, holding aloft her iconic flame, long since seen as a beacon to freedom and the promise of a better life…
…but the flame has been snuffed out.
— Nicholas Thompson (@nxthompson) February 3, 2017
Sometimes, a picture speaks far more loudly than words. And this is one of those times.
In the aftermath of President Trump’s disastrous and shameful ban on Muslims, and as the country turns its back on refugees, sorrow has overtaken much of the country. The ban on a specific religious group flies in the face of everything that has ever made this country great. We are a country of immigrants. And furthermore, as a global power and nation of immense wealth, that we should reject refugees is a deep shame.
The image featured is by John W. Tomac, and is titled “Liberty’s Flameout.” Françoise Mouly, the magazine’s art director, explained the choice in a blog post on Friday:
“It used to be that the Statue of Liberty, and her shining torch, was the vision that welcomed new immigrants. And, at the same time, it was the symbol of American values. Now it seems that we are turning off the light.”
Make no mistake – these are not American values. What we are witnessing is the destruction of everything that has always made us great. This is why people march. This is why people are resisting. Trump may be in power, but the majority is not with him.
History will not look kindly on those who ignored the outstretched hands of the persecuted.
- Red State Republicans Using Unconstitutional Gambit to Kill Obamacare
- Parkland Shooting Student Protesters Turned Away From Senate Offices
- Deplorable ‘Disgrace’ Dinesh D’Souza Destroyed for Despicable Tweet Attacking Dead Kids’ Friends
- MUSIC REVIEW: Frank Turner Sees ‘1933’ Repeating Itself in 2018
- BREAKING: GOP Lawmakers Just Refused Even to Debate Gun Reform – as Massacre Survivors Wept
- After Teachers Die Saving Kids in Shooting, Republicans Move to Kill Their Unions