Trump’s Latest Depravity Proves He Can’t Lead the ‘Free World’
The Trump Legacy is the End of U.S. Hegemony
In the past, the president of the United States would set politics aside to offer words of empathy and solidarity to our closest ally. Instead, President Donald Trump exploited a terrorist attack to promote his own brand of far-right, anti-Muslim, and anti-immigrant politics. Timothy Bertrand discusses these issues in the video below.
Watch the Video Below:
Transcript: Angela Merkel recently said the United States can no longer be trusted as a reliable European ally. That couldn’t be clearer after the terrorist attack in London, England.
In the past, the president of the United States would set politics aside to offer words of empathy and solidarity to our closest ally. Instead, President Donald Trump exploited the attack to promote his own brand of far-right, anti-Muslim, and anti-immigrant politics.
Trump tweeted: “At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is “no reason to be alarmed!”
But of course, the full context of Mayor Sadiq Khan’s statement was a simple reassurance to Londoners concerning the increased police presence following the attack. Trump refused to back off and, needless to say, Londoners and the whole of Britain seem appalled by this cheap political theater.
This, quite simply, is not what global leadership looks like. The Trump legacy is one of ceding U.S. hegemony, some seventy two years after the end of World War II–when the United States helped rebuild a devastated Europe, and the office of president earned the designation “leader of the free world.”
And so who leads the free world now? Angela Merkel? Emmanuel Macron? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below. As always, don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter. End transcript.
(Featured photo credits: Photo by Sean Gallup via Getty Images)
- Rupert Murdoch Slams Claims of Rampant Sexual Harrassment at Fox News As ‘Nonsense’
- Trump Preaches Respect for Law Enforcement, An Hour After Dissing FBI
- The Best People? Twitter Thrashes Trump’s Judicial Nominee for His Sheer, Shocking Incompetence
- Watch Paul Ryan Say The Most Idiotic, Sexist, Inherently Racist & Snobbish Thing Ever
- Watch The Corrupt AF FCC Chair Join Right Wing Misinfo Operative To Dance On Grave of Free Speech
- Ex-Trump Aide Omarosa Sounds Alarm: ‘I Was Very Uncomfortable With’ Events In Trump White House