BREAKING: DOJ Inspector General To Probe FBI’s ‘Improper’ Handling Of Clinton Investigation
James Comey vs. Hillary Clinton
When reviewing the most consequential events of the 2016 presidential election, one strikingly inappropriate action comes immediately to mind. Less than two weeks before the nation voted, FBI Directer James Comey violated a long-held principle of law enforcement. He released confidential and unsubstantiated data concerning an in-progress investigation of Hillary Clinton.
Comey’s action gave Donald Trump’s campaign a jet-propelled boost at a time when it needed it most. And it left little time for Clinton’s campaign to respond or recover from the political harm. As it turned out, there was nothing of significance in the additional analysis that Comey initiated, but the damage was done.
Thursday morning the Inspector General’s office of the Department of Justice announced that it will be reviewing these events. Requests from member of Congress, outside organizations, and members of the public, spurred the IG to commence this review. According to the Huffington Post, the review will address several specific topics, including:
- Allegations that Department or FBI policies or procedures were not followed in connection with, or in actions leading up to or related to, the FBI Director’s public announcement on July 5, 2016, and the Director’s letters to Congress on October 28 and November 6, 2016, and that certain underlying investigative decisions were based on improper considerations;
- Allegations that the FBI Deputy Director should have been recused from participating in certain investigative matters;
- Allegations that Department and FBI employees improperly disclosed non-public information;
- Allegations that decisions regarding the timing of the FBI’s release of certain Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) documents on October 30 and November 1, 2016, and the use of a Twitter account to publicize same, were influenced by improper considerations.
These are the most salient issues that desperately need to be resolved. Comey’s behavior was suspiciously beneficial to one political candidate, and this investigation should explore any and all motivations. The IG’s review is being careful not to engage in further partisanship. Consequently, it’s also examining allegations that an assistant AG improperly disclosed non-public information to Clinton’s campaign.
FBI hanging in the balance
It remains to be seen what conclusions will be drawn when the review is complete. There could be consequences for Comey, or it could be swept under the FBI’s rug. Timing will also be critical. If this stretches too long into the Trump administration, and his anticipated purges at the DOJ are effected, then nothing of significance will result. Trump’s people will surely protect him and his allies in the FBI, including Comey. So stay tuned as this developing story continues to unfold.
Featured image by Mark Howard of News Corpse with photo of James Comey by Andrew Burton/Getty Images.
- ‘A Danger to the Constitution’: LA Times Condemns Trump in Scathing Editorial
- TRAITORS: Fox News Host Calls Confederates ‘Revered Historical American Leaders’
- That Time Donald Trump’s Grandfather Groveled in Vain to Avoid Deportation
- Liberty University President Reveals the Real Reason Trump Praised “Fine” Neo-Nazis
- Let’s Call Anyone Still Standing By Trump What They Are: Collaborators
- NEW DATA: 74% of Violent Extremist Attacks Perpetrated by Far-Right. The Rest Were ISIS