FACT CHECK: Donald Trump Says Murder Rate Is At 45 Year High. Here’s The Truth
Facts? Who Needs Facts? Not Donald Trump, That’s For Sure
Donald Trump continues to push alternative facts with no sign of stopping, and making America look like a crime infested nation that needs his saving seems to be a reoccurring one that he won’t let go of.
As The New York Daily News reports, on Tuesday during a White House meeting with 3000 sheriffs from across the country, Trump stated that murder rates in the US are nearing a 50 year high.
This is a claim he made on the campaign trail and still seems to cling on to. He also insists that the media he hates so much is just ignoring reality, according to CNN.
“I’d say that in a speech and everybody was surprised because the press doesn’t like to tell it like it is. It wasn’t to their advantage to say that. The murder rate is the highest it’s been in I guess 45 to 47 years.”
False. This statement is out and out false, which is probably a more accurate reason as to why “the press” isn’t “telling it like it is.”
Vox reports that according to the FBI, in 2015, the last year of complete records, the murder rate in the United States was at 4.9 per 100,000 people. That is WAY down from 1970 (7.9), 1971 (8.6), and 1972 (9).
There were two spikes since then: In 1980 which was 10.2 per 100,000, and again in 1991 at 9.8.
Since 1991, however, the murder rate has been in a steady decline being below 5 per 100,000 people except in 2009 when it was exactly 5.
[contentblock id=7 img=gcb.png]
So, why is Donald Trump pushing these false numbers? Well, Trump sold himself as a “law and order” president, and said during his inauguration speech that “This American carnage stops right here and stops right now.” Trump’s inflated murder statistics paint a picture of a broken, scary America that needs to be made great again. Guess who thinks he can do that?
Feature image Andrew Harrer/Getty Images
- New Poll Confirms Overwhelming Majority of Americans are Fighting for Gun Control
- Swing State Chief Justice Slams GOP’s Fascist Vote Rigging, Court Fixing Scheme
- Trump’s New National Security Advisor Is a Chickenhawk Sociopath That You Should Be Scared Of
- Watch Veterans Stand Up to NRA, Stand Up For Shooting Victims in Moving Video
- A Shocking Number of Americans Think Trump Is A Good Role Model For Children
- Disgraced GOP Preacher Politician Kills Self – Sticks Taxpayers With Massive Debt