UPDATES: National Security Adviser Michael Flynn Resigns Over Russian Connections
On Monday, CNN and the Associated Press reported National Security Adviser Michael Flynn has resigned over his pre-election contact with Russian officials. The news comes just hours after bombshell reports that the White House had been warned about a potential Russian compromising of the National Security Adviser.
JUST IN: Michael Flynn has resigned as President Trump's national security adviser, two sources tell CNN. https://t.co/SFeEtCccQI
— CNN (@CNN) February 14, 2017
BREAKING: National security adviser Michael Flynn has resigned.
— The Associated Press (@AP) February 14, 2017
First reported by The Washington Post, the revelation of Justice Department forewarning seems to have finally triggered a response to the crisis from the White House. The Post reported on Monday:
The acting attorney general informed the Trump White House late last month that she believed Michael Flynn had misled senior administration officials about the nature of his communications with the Russian ambassador to the United States, and warned that the national security adviser was potentially vulnerable to Russian blackmail, current and former U.S. officials said.
The message, delivered by Sally Q. Yates and a senior career national security official to the White House counsel, was prompted by concerns that Flynn, when asked about his calls and texts with the Russian diplomat, had told Vice President-elect Mike Pence and others that he had not discussed the Obama administration sanctions on Russia for its interference in the 2016 election, the officials said. It is unclear what the White House counsel, Donald McGahn, did with the information.
Flynn’s resignation comes a month into the job, making him one of the shortest serving senior presidential advisers in modern American history.
This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.
Photo by Kevin Hagen/Getty Images
- Rupert Murdoch Slams Claims of Rampant Sexual Harrassment at Fox News As ‘Nonsense’
- Trump Preaches Respect for Law Enforcement, An Hour After Dissing FBI
- The Best People? Twitter Thrashes Trump’s Judicial Nominee for His Sheer, Shocking Incompetence
- Watch Paul Ryan Say The Most Idiotic, Sexist, Inherently Racist & Snobbish Thing Ever
- Watch The Corrupt AF FCC Chair Join Right Wing Misinfo Operative To Dance On Grave of Free Speech
- Ex-Trump Aide Omarosa Sounds Alarm: ‘I Was Very Uncomfortable With’ Events In Trump White House