Embarrassing New Poll Shows Abysmal Support For Republican Health Care Plan
Just 17 Percent Support GOP Health Care Plan, Huge Majorities Back Medicaid And Planned Parenthood
A new poll from Quinnipiac has loads of bad news for Republicans and President Donald Trump. By staggering margins, respondents have very negative views of Trump’s handling of health care, the repeal and replace plan of Obamacare by the GOP, and the gutting of Medicaid. And by a nearly 2-to-1 spread, Americans favor government funding for Planned Parenthood.
Support for the Republican health care proposal, the American Health Care Act, is scant, to say the least. Just 17 percent approve of the idea while 56 percent disapprove. Even more worrying for the GOP, when asked whether they would be more or less likely to vote for an official’s reelection if they voted in favor of the plan, 46 percent responded less likely. This includes 50 percent of 50-64 year old persons and 41 percent of 65+ voters, groups more likely to have supported Trump.
On Trump’s handling of health care, 61 percent disapprove of his job and just 29 percent approve. When asked about support for Medicaid, an incredible 74 percent oppose decreasing federal funding for the program. Just 22 percent support a cut. Only those 65+ in age came in under 76 percent opposed.
And on federal dollars for Planned Parenthood, 61 percent oppose cutting off funding while 33 percent support the change. While the answers, not surprisingly, ran along party lines, a bigger concern for Republicans may have been the answers of independents. 68 percent with no party oppose cutting funding to Planned Parenthood while only 28 percent support.
As the clock ticks down on the GOP-announced deadline for the House bill to repeal and replace Obamacare, Republicans are scrambling for support from everywhere. It’s now abundantly clear they will get very little of that from the public.
Featured image by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images.
- It’s Official: Fox News and the GOP have merged into a single political media enterprise
- Ana Navarro to Trump: As Commander in Chief “you do not fight with the family of a dead soldier!”
- The Daily Caller actually thinks Ted Cruz won this argument – but really, he got Bern’d!
- Terrifying new poll shows most Republicans don’t support the 1st Amendment
- Internet rejoices as school honoring Confederate leader to be renamed for Barack Obama
- Experts, Mar-a-Lago visitors skeptical of White House claims about records