GOP Lawmaker Calls for Lynching People Removing Confederate Monuments
Republican Karl Oliver Wants Mississippi ‘Leadership’ ‘Lynched’ Over Relocation Of Confederate Monuments
If there is one thing many Republicans can’t seem to stand, it’s the removing of symbols, statues and monuments honoring the losing and openly racist side of the Civil War. And there may be no better example of the societal deafness on the right than a recent Facebook post by Mississippi State Representative Karl Oliver. He publicly called for the lynching of anyone wanting to remove Confederate monuments in his state. Really.
In a brief post displaying his anger, Oliver stated:
The destruction of these monuments, erected in the loving memory of our family and fellow Southern Americans, is both heinous and horrific. If the, and I use this term extremely loosely, “leadership” of Louisiana wishes to, in a Nazi-ish fashion, burn books or destroy historical monuments of OUR HISTORY, they should be LYNCHED! Let it be known, I will do all in my power to prevent this from happening in our State.
Oliver later removed the post, but not before screenshots were nabbed and shared:
— Yashar (@yashar) May 22, 2017
Many expressed outrage in the comments of the post. A local news outlet even posted a Twitter poll asking whether Oliver should resign for his comments. Voting is ongoing as of this writing.
Should Rep. Karl Oliver (R – Winona) resign after comments that Louisiana lawmakers "should be lynched" for Confederate statue removal?
— WCBI News (@WCBINEWS) May 22, 2017
Other GOP leaders have reportedly condemned the Koch Brothers-backed representative’s post. It should also be noted the monuments are not being destroyed but relocated, despite the language in Oliver’s post.
Related: Trump Fans Flood Black Congressman’s Inbox with Violent, Racist Hate Mail After Impeachment Plea
Part of the district Karl Oliver represents includes Money, Mississppi in Leflore County, the same area where the infamous and horrific lynching of 14-year old Emmett Till took place in 1955.
Featured image via Karl Oliver on Facebook (Fair Use).
- Rupert Murdoch Slams Claims of Rampant Sexual Harrassment at Fox News As ‘Nonsense’
- Trump Preaches Respect for Law Enforcement, An Hour After Dissing FBI
- The Best People? Twitter Thrashes Trump’s Judicial Nominee for His Sheer, Shocking Incompetence
- Watch Paul Ryan Say The Most Idiotic, Sexist, Inherently Racist & Snobbish Thing Ever
- Watch The Corrupt AF FCC Chair Join Right Wing Misinfo Operative To Dance On Grave of Free Speech
- Ex-Trump Aide Omarosa Sounds Alarm: ‘I Was Very Uncomfortable With’ Events In Trump White House