CNN, Politico, BBC & More BANNED At WH Press Briefings – Boycott Backlash Begins
White House Bans Certain Media Outlets From Press Briefing
In a deeply troubling move, the Trump White House banned certain news organizations from attending a press briefing on Friday.
CNN, the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, the Hill, Buzzfeed, BBC and Politico were among the organizations excluded from the press briefing, which was intended to be less “formal” than the typical, televised events held in the White House briefing room. These press briefings are known as a gaggle, CNN reports.
New York Times executive editor Dean Baquet wrote the following statement in reaction to the White House handpicking what media outlets receive information.
“Nothing like this has ever happened at the White House in our long history of covering multiple administrations of different parties. We strongly protest the exclusion of The New York Times and the other news organizations. Free media access to a transparent government is obviously of crucial national interest.”
While those news organizations were purposefully excluded, conservative outlets such as Breitbart News, the Washington Times, and One America News Network were allowed into the press briefing.
Trump Attacked The Media At CPAC
The action came just hours after Donald Trump continued his open battle against the media, during his appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference, just outside of Washington. During his CPAC speech, Trump said again that the press is “the enemy of the people.”
“They are the enemy of the people because they have no sources,” Trump said. “They just make them up when there are none.”
The president also stated that reporters shouldn’t be “allowed” to use unnamed sources.
The Associated Press and Time magazine boycotted the press briefing because of how it was handled. The White House Correspondents Association is protesting, and released the following statement:
“The WHCA board is protesting strongly against how today’s gaggle is being handled by the White House. We encourage the organizations that were allowed in to share the material with others in the press corps who were not. The board will be discussing this further with White House staff.”
So far, there has been no immediate explanation forthcoming from the White House.
- Trump: This Thanksgiving, Give Thanks for Me, Me, ME!
- 8 Conservative Values Republicans Can No Longer Claim After Falling In Line Behind Trump
- Complaint Filed Against Kellyanne Conway For Illegal Election Meddling – And There’s Video Proof
- Watch Responsible Gun Owner Smash Own AR-15 to Bits to Protest Assault Weapons (VIDEO)
- Twitter Erupts When Fox News Host Excoriates Trump for Demanding ‘Groveling’, Petty Attacks
- Watch Fed Up Fox News Host Utterly Eviscerate Trump: You ‘Don’t Even Border on Being Human’