White House Issues Stunning Comment On Meryl Streep’s Anti-Trump Speech
The White House applauds Meryl Streep’s speech
Following the speech, Trump was so furious (an expected reaction; he does not take criticism well) that he immediately lashed out against the celebrated actress on Twitter. The White House did not stay silent, but instead spoke in defense of Streep. Josh Earnest, the White House spokesman, said:
“She clearly was delivering a thoughtful, carefully considered message that she believes in deeply. It seemed to me to be a fairly straightforward exercise of her First Amendment rights as a citizen of the United States.”
In 2014, President Obama awarded Meryl Streep the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Obama is a known admirer of the Academy Award-winning actress. However, Earnest made it clear that his words were not coming directly from President Obama—and that the President would neither publicly support Streep nor criticize Donald Trump.
“He’s got institutional responsibilities. He has to set aside those personal feelings in order to preside over an effective transition … The president has faithfully presided over a process that has done exactly that.”
It is uncertain if Trump will also react to the White House comments, but if he does, and if he does it angrily, it would be no surprise to anyone. Meryl Streep’s speech is still, after almost 24 hours, the highlight of evening; as the White House put it, a thoughtful, carefully considered message, one that is sadly accurate.
Featured image via Win McNamee/Getty Images News
- God Says Obama – Not Trump – is the Real Traitor, Self Proclaimed ‘Prophet’ Declares
- Of Course Sessions Manipulated Data to Support Trump Travel Ban
- What the Frack? Dakota Pipeline Backers Spending Big at Trump Hotels
- Pelosi Demands Democrats Stand Firm in Face of Shutdown Threats
- Trump is Hoping Something Terrifying Will Happen to Keep His Party in Power
- Breaking – Coming to TV: ‘Fire and Fury’ — Book Trump Tried to Ban to Become TV Series