Salt Lake Tribune Rips GOP Senator Orrin Hatch, Calls for Resignation, Twitter Piles On
Republican Senator from Utah Orrin Hatch got a nice Christmas honor when his state’s leading newspaper singled him out as the most influential Utahn of the year, essentially ripped him a new one and asked for him to step down.
The Salt Lake Tribune wants Hatch gone
The paper, which each year chooses a Utahn to highlight, did not hold back, and made it very clear that Hatch should not take the distinction as an honor. After explaining the prize goes to the Utahn that has made the most impact “for good or for ill,” the paper laid it all bare in 3 simple bullet points:
- Hatch’s part in the dramatic dismantling of the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments.
- His role as chairman of the Senate Finance Committee in passing a major overhaul of the nation’s tax code.
- His utter lack of integrity that rises from his unquenchable thirst for power.
Ouch. That last one had to sting. But the Salt Lake Tribune was not done yet;
…the presidential decision to cut the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in half and to slash the size of the brand new Bears Ears National Monument by some 90 percent has no constitutional, legal or environmental logic.
The paper continued:
“It would be good for Utah if Hatch, having finally caught the Great White Whale of tax reform, were to call it a career. If he doesn’t, the voters should end it for him.”
For his part, Hatch tweeted out that he “grateful” for the Christmas honor. It was unclear if the Senator had actually read the article.
— Orrin Hatch (@OrrinHatch) December 25, 2017
Of course, Twitter has a way of having the last word, and other users of the social media platform pounced. As pf press time, his tweet had received over 4000 replies, most of them similar to the ones below;
To catch everyone up: the Salt Lake Tribune named Orrin Hatch "Utahn of the Year" in an utterly scathing editorial. Hatch clearly didn't read it and tweeted out this thanks.
We have reached the point where GOP senators are Wile E. Coyote to the media's Roadrunner. https://t.co/6NijTdWWHM
— Charlotte Clymer?️? (@cmclymer) December 26, 2017
Lol. Your age is really catching up with you. This is an article saying how horrible you are and I agree.
— firedupandreadytogo (@Firedup2020) December 26, 2017
LOL, the paper called you to go away and condemned you. Did you just not read it?
— Jack Harrison (@jbh502) December 26, 2017
LMAO we are all grateful they called out your evil. The funny part is you are too stupid to know it.
— TheFacetiousMan (@DarthFacetious1) December 26, 2017
Your posting it pretty much proves the part where they say you have a demonstrated lack of integrity. Kudos.
— StillWithHer (@jimlautenbach) December 26, 2017
How these once-prominent Republicans can continue to be tone-deaf is puzzling. They are putting their careers on the line to support a historically unpopular president. Clearly, the anti-Trump backlash is splashing onto Republicans in congress that not only allow Trump to taunt a majority of the electorate while continually run roughshod all over our Constitution, but actually do his dirty work. With an election year looming, and (until recently) unthinkable Democratic victories in Republican strongholds like both Alabama and Virginia, one can sense the pendulum swinging hard towards the Dems.
Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
- Trump’s America is Not the Country My Grandfather Immigrated To
- Vindictive Villain Trump Was Gloating About McCabe Firing – And Then It All Came Crashing Down
- In Jaw Dropping CNN Battle, Never Trumper Viciously Shreds Trump Apologist in Must See TV Clip
- Trump’s Disturbing Drug War Plan Comes Straight From Brutally Murderous Dictators
- Watch Delusional Trump Fan Moms Teaching Kids Grotesque Hate in Horrifying Video
- Watch: Man Terrorizes Teen With Knife at School Gun Control Meeting – School Punishes Students