Pope Francis to Mothers: Breastfeed in Church Without Fear
Pope Francis has a special message for women and mothers
Pope Francis has given a special message to all mothers, proving again that he is the most progressive pope yet. While baptising children at a ceremony in the Sistine Chapel, the Argentinian-born Pope asked women to feel free to breastfeed their children, not only in public but also in the church. The Pontiff pontificated:
“The ceremony is a little long, someone’s crying because he’s hungry. That’s the way it is. You mothers, go ahead and breastfeed, without fear. Just like the Virgin Mary nursed Jesus.”
There are many well-known benefits of breastfeeding. Unfortunately, women around the world women are often discouraged from doing it, especially when it comes to nursing in public. Breastfeeding has shown to help reduce obesity, diabetes and infections in children, while also providing an optimal nutrition and reducing child mortality.
According to The Independent, it is possible that the Pope’s remark was prompted by a mother who was seen breastfeeding before the homily. However, this is not the first time that the Pope voiced his support for breastfeeding in public. In January 2015 in a similar ceremony, the Pope abandoned his pre-written speech to tell the women attending:
“You mothers give your children milk and even now, if they cry because they are hungry, breastfeed them, don’t worry.”
The pontiff even conducted a special prayer for all those mothers who have difficulty breastfeeding:
“We thank the Lord for the women with milk and we pray for those who are not able to breastfeed their babies. We pray for them and try to help them.”
In a world in which the practice of breastfeeding in public is seen as obscene or inappropriate in many cultures, and has also disappeared due to changes in the lifestyle of parents, it is considered necessary and above all natural to the head of the Vatican.
Featured image via Franco Origlia/Getty Images News
- It’s Official: Fox News and the GOP have merged into a single political media enterprise
- Ana Navarro to Trump: As Commander in Chief “you do not fight with the family of a dead soldier!”
- The Daily Caller actually thinks Ted Cruz won this argument – but really, he got Bern’d!
- Terrifying new poll shows most Republicans don’t support the 1st Amendment
- Internet rejoices as school honoring Confederate leader to be renamed for Barack Obama
- Experts, Mar-a-Lago visitors skeptical of White House claims about records