BREAKING: UK Parliament Bans Donald Trump Talk, Applaud As U.S. President Bashed From Stage
Speaker John Bercow: Trump Will Not Address Parliament
MPs applauded as Speaker Bercow said Parliament’s opposition to racism, sexism, and an independent judicary disqualify Trump from speaking in Westminster Hall.
The following is a partial transcript of remarks made by John Simon Bercow, Speaker of the House of Commons. The remarks have been abridged in a video courtesy of The Independent, which you’ll find below:
An address by a foreign leader, to both Houses of Parliament, is not an automatic right, it is an earned honor. Before the imposition of the migrant ban, I would myself have been strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall. After the imposition of the migrant ban, by President Trump, I am even more strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall. Although customarily an invitation to a visiting leader to issue an address there would be issued in the name of the two speakers—I would not wish to issue an invitation to President Trump to speak in the royal gallery. We value our relationship with the United States. If a state visit takes place, that is way beyond and above the pay grade of the Speaker. However, as far as this place is concerned, I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons.
MPs broke into spontaneous applause at various points during Bercow’s speech.
The Labour Party’s Dennis Skinner added:
Further to that point of order—two words: well done!
Watch: Speaker Bercow Won’t Allow Trump To Address Parliament, Members Applaud And Cheer
Don’t Miss: Parliament Debates Banning Donald Trump From UK
Featured photo by Tom Dulat via Getty Images H/T: The Independent
- Pro-Gun Gov. Greg Abbott Just Met With Grieving Santa Fe Families — But He Won’t Help Them
- English Teacher Corrects Trump’s Horribly Written Letter, Sends it Back to WH in Epic Troll
- Memorial Day Reflections on the Unheralded Souls Who Died for our Freedom
- Democrats Could Flip This Red State to Blue — Thanks to This New Progressive All Star
- Rape, Death Threats, Beatings – New Report Alleges ‘Systemic’ Abuse by CBP of Immigrant Children
- WH Site Crashes in Rush to Buy Newly Minted Coin Commemorating Trump’s Epic NK Fail
Timothy Bertrand is an author and journalist from Houston, Texas. He is the Associate Editor at Reverb Press and splits his time between covering breaking news and penning thoughtful literary essays.