Had Barack Obama not gone into politics, he could have had a career as a comedian. On Saturday night the president hilariously skewered just about everyone in Washington at the White House Correspondents Dinner with his deadpan humor. As usual, he kills it.
Hosted by the White House press corps, the yearly event is — as Obama wryly explains — when Washington D.C. gathers to “to celebrate itself.” Obama then went on to poke a little fun at himself:
- Obama’s bucket list: “Well, I have something that rhymes with bucket list. Take executive action on immigration? Bucket. New climate regulations? Bucket. It’s the right thing to do.”
- Rumors about him being a Muslim: It’s hard having stay on top of everything when you’re president, plus “having to pray five times every day.”
- Obama’s reputation for being aloof and condescending: “Some people are so dumb. No wonder I don’t meet with them.”
Obama had a field day drawing howls of laughter as he savagely ripped into his many adversaries, including:
- John Boehner: When joking about aging in the White House, Obama declared, “I look so old [House Speaker] John Boehner’s already invited [Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu to speak at my funeral.”
- CNN: In regards to his fellow guest and speaker, Saturday Night Live’s Cecily Strong: “usually the only people impersonating journalists on CNN are journalists on CNN.”
- Dick Cheney: “Dick Cheney said I was the worst president of his lifetime, which is interesting because I think Dick Cheney is the worst president of my lifetime.”
- Michele Bachmann: In response to the former House rep’s blaming him for the impending rapture. “Biblical end of days? Now THAT’s a legacy. I mean, Lincoln, Washington, they didn’t do that.”
The president also had quite a few zingers for his friends, allies and even his lovely wife, Michelle Obama.
- Hillary Clinton: “For many Americans, this is still a time of deep uncertainty. For example I have one friend, just a few weeks ago she was making millions of dollars a year. And she’s now living out of a van in Iowa.”
- Bernie Sanders: “Apparently they really want to see a pot smoking socialist in the White House. We could get a third Obama term after all.”
- Joe Biden: “I love that man. We’ve gotten so close that some places in Indiana won’t serve us pizza any more.”
- Michelle Obama: Unlike him, she hasn’t aged in a day. Annoyingly, she attributes this to “fresh fruits and vegetables.”
Keegan-Michael Key Reprises His Role As Obama’s Anger Translator.
The best part of Obama’s 20-minute routine comes when he brings in a special guest: Keegan-Michael Key from Comedy Central reprising Luther, Obama’s infamous “anger translator.”
“I often joke about tensions between me and the press, but honestly, what they say doesn’t bother me. I understand we’ve got an adversarial system. I’m a mellow sort of guy. And that’s why I’ve invited Luther, my ‘anger translator,’ here tonight.”
Oh, and watch for the surprise twist ending.
Here’s the video with Obama at the White House Correspondents Dinner with a special appearance from Luther the “anger translator.” Luther appears at the 13:20 mark.