UPDATED, 5:50 p.m. PT
UPDATED, 4:15 P.M. PT
UPDATED, 2:44 p.m. PT
Police are involved in an active shooter case at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, which provides social services to the disabled and needy. There are one to three shooters who are still at large.
Shooters Are Heavily Armed And At Large
At noon, Sgt. Vicki Cervantes told reporters that the suspects are heavily armed and possibly wearing body armor. She also said:
“It’s a very active scene. It’s very fluid.”
A man whose wife worked at the center, and who locked herself in her office, told KABC-TV that “they saw bodies on the floor.” The number of victims isn’t yet known, as of this writing, but the Daily Mail has reported that there are at least 12 fatalities and 8 wounded. Reuters reports 3 fatalities and at least 20 wounded. Loma Linda University Medical Center was preparing for an unknown number of wounded to arrive.
The first reports of the shootings came in at 11:00 A.M. local time. First responders, including a SWAT team, were on the scene by 11:15. An apparent explosive device was left at the scene, which a bomb squad was working to disarm. The Daily Mail also reported that there are three male suspects dressed “in military gear and ski masks.”
SWAT Team Is Scouring Area For Shooters
SWAT teams are working to clear the area and are scouring the neighborhood in search of the suspects. MedEvac helicopters have also been flying into the scene to evacuate victims.
This is a horrifying scene, targeting some of society’s most vulnerable. Until the suspects are caught and identified, a motive is almost unimaginable. Without a doubt, however, it shows the consequences of this country allowing the rampant proliferation of arms.
UPDATES, 5:50 p.m. PT:
- A spokeswoman for Loma Linda University Medical Center confirmed that 5 adult victims of the shooting had been brought to the hospital, along with a wounded police officer, who has non-life threatening injuries.
- The medical center received a credible bomb threat at 2:30 p.m. No device was found, but the facility remains on heightened alert.
- FBI sookesman confirmed that 2 suspects are dead, one man and one woman. They were dressed in “tactical gear.” Third person who ran from SUV has been detained, but has not been confirmed as a shooter.
- A third shooter could still be on the loose.
- SBPD confirmed that the deceased suspects were dressed in “tactical gear.”
UPDATE from police, 4:00 p.m. PT:
San Bernardino police confirmed an active shooting scene, with a dark SUV having been disabled by SWAT teams after gunfire was reported. Scene is two miles east of original shooting. One suspect killed, a second suspect wounded.
UPDATES from police press conference at 1:45 p.m. PT:
- 14 people were killed, mostly in a conference room at the Inland Regional Center.
- 3 suspects with “long guns” fled the scene in a dark SUV.
- At least 14 people have been wounded and are being treated at area hospitals.
- Chief of police Jarrod Burguan called attack “at least” a domestic terrorism situation.
- Identities of suspects still unknown.
- The police are sweeping the building complex, the area, and the city.
Watch the Daily Mail’s news coverage here: