A gun-toting parent twice chose his son’s elementary school to assert his “right” to open carry a weapon. Some people seem determined to prove what assholes “gun rights” advocates can be.

I’m sure the kid was thrilled with the result. The school went into total lockdown.

The two incidents occurred at a Battle Creek, MI area school — Homer, MI, to be exact. On Friday, the man showed up with a gun holstered on his hip to check his son into school. When a staff member questioned him, he said he had a “right” to have it in the school.

TWICE Makes This ‘Open Carry’ Zealot A Bully

As far as state law goes, the parent can bully his way into any situation he wants to with his gun strapped on, even his son’s school. As far as school policy goes, the procedure that is followed in the presence of a gun is a total lockdown, with all classroom activity coming to a halt. Way to go, dad!

The first time, the man left before a lockdown was enacted. However, the district consulted with the Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office about how to deal with the situation. Sheriff Matt Saxton advised school officials to meet with the parent to try and resolve the issue.

So, a meeting was scheduled for Monday. Guess how the man showed up!

District Superintendent Robert Wright said:

“And lo and behold, he showed up with his weapon holstered … it was never out of the holster. And at that point I had to inform him that our protocol is that we go into lockdown just for pure safety of all of our students and staff, and so we went into lockdown at that point.”

The man was asked to sit in the lobby, and the school went into what they call “hard” lockdown. The only teaching going on at that point is on safety procedures. The parent promptly left.

Intentional Disruption Will Bring Charges

After the second incident, Sheriff Saxton suggested that a repeat performance would earn the man charges from the county prosecutor for disorderly conduct. Because, in spite of his insistence that his gun belongs in his son’s elementary school, he now knows the consequences of his actions and the disruption that it causes to students’ education.

All of the school’s parents were notified of the lockdown. One has to wonder how they felt about having this news come home with their kids:

“Guess what, Mommy? We spent the afternoon figuring out what to do if the man with the gun started shooting us!”

How selfish and wrong-headed can one person be? Just who is it that is terrorizing this country?

Saxton summed up the problem:

“You just don’t know the mindset of the person coming in — even though we have not had an assaultive crime of a person with a CPL holding in Calhoun County — but the school doesn’t know and they are trained to go into lockdown.”

The sheriff also pointed out that the problem needs to be taken care of by the Michigan legislature, which has allowed guns in the schools.

‘Open Carry’ Is An Attempt To Enforce Dominance

According to the 2010 census, Homer is a village of 1,668 people, 97.7 percent of whom are white. The overwhelming odds are that the man carrying the gun was white. But there is that 2.3 percent — or 38 people — that aren’t white.

What if one of the scatterings of Latinos, African Americans, Asians, or Natives had been the one carrying a gun into the school? What if the parent had been Muslim? What would the problem look like then to the town or the state? How would the response have been different?

Gun rights is an issue of dominance, viciously fought for by those who seek to enforce a dominance they fear they are losing. That fear is essential for the chief backer of gun rights — the weapons industry, which is just as viciously protecting its profits.

Both the industry and its consumers value dominance more than human lives unless the lives in question are their own. How pathetic is that?

0 Shares:
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *